"I come into the peace of wild things who do not tax their lives with forethought of grief.
For a time I rest in the grace of the world, and am free." ~Wendell Berry


Wednesday, March 10, 2021

Purple Martin Season 2021 Has Begun

My first purple martin 'scout' of this new season arrived on March 8th, 2021. It was 65 degrees and winds were out of the southwest - great migration weather. The awful polar vortex that hit the southern states just as migration began created a worrisome start this year with thousands of birds dying, including untold numbers of purple martins that had just literally landed at their home sites. 

But it appears that some things are returning to normal and it was such a joy to see her circling my colony Monday afternoon. I still haven't seen any bluebirds since I found 3 dead in a nestbox on Feb. 13th. I also usually have tree swallows that arrive with my first purple martin, but I still have not seen one of those yet.

Missouri landlords should be raising their houses now - you can check out the Purple Martin Scout Arrival map live at this link to see if there are any reports submitted near your area. If you would like to report your own arrivals, you can use this link and create an account if you need to to enter your data.

https://www.purplemartin.org/research/8/scout-arrival-study/

This is today's map (my report is the purple dot with the red circle around it).

I hope you have a great season and as always, you can reach me via this blog by commenting below or email me at purplemartin @ centurytel dot net.


5 comments:

  1. I have one house up & will do the rest Monday. Haven't seen any martins yet, but have seen one pair
    off bluebirds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When should purple martins arrive in Freeport Illinois 61032-in 2021?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Thanks for your comment! I checked the PMCA scout report for 2020 and couldn't find a report for that year. You can go to this link and see if there's another city that has a report and generally, that will be the date of arrivals around your area, give or take a week for the adults.
      If you are a new landlord this year, then look for the sub-adult arrivals from last year and that's when you should start seeing them in your area.
      Here's the scout report.
      https://www.purplemartin.org/research/scoutreports.php?Y=2020&S=IL

      Delete
  3. I have been having my purple Martin homes up for three years now and I saw some flying around them today. What does this me for me?

    ReplyDelete