"I come into the peace of wild things who do not tax their lives with forethought of grief.
For a time I rest in the grace of the world, and am free." ~Wendell Berry


Sunday, June 3, 2018

Nest Checks, New Hatchlings and Nets

My last nest check revealed I have 73 pair so far, with a total of 84 gourds offered.  I continue to be amazed at the resiliency of the purple martin, especially since the Great Horned Owl persists with her attacks.  As an added challenge this year, I've also had a problem now with the Barred Owl attacking my tree swallow and bluebird housing.
But for now, back to my GHO update.  On the morning of April 30th, I became quite alarmed to see the GHO has, after 3 years with these cages, now figured out how to get up and inside to perch on the inside arms of the rack.
After 2 days or mourning and feeling sorry for myself, I decided to cowgirl-up and my husband and I designed a "cargo net" style bottom which would balance the need of the purple martins to both exit quickly when a hawk attacked as well as serve to keep the GHO out. With the mandatory requirement of it being "quick release" so that I could continue with nest checks, we purchased some polypropylene rope, zip ties, quick release clips and some garden stakes.  The first 'net' picture you see below has 14x12" holes in it - I can always adjust the size of these holes if the owl gets through, but since the owl's wingspan ranges from 36"-60", I'm hoping I don't have to change these.  The 4 long ropes are crossed by 6 shorter ropes, tied together using zip ties at each crossing.
I've put together the video below to show other landlords how the netting is connected to the cages and how it quick releases for nest checks.  I made a mistake in the video - the rope is called, "polypropylene".  :)


For the round racks, a different approach was used to the the netting.

While the owl has definitely made my nest checks a little more time-consuming, my husband has always helped me come up with ideas to enable me to keep doing them. Given the heat & humidity we experience here in Missouri during the summer, it's imperative that I know the ages of the kids, because inevitably, I will have a few nestlings that will either get knocked off porches or they will jump and I need to know in which nest to put them back.
New "pinkies"!
Photo taken by my friend, Lu Ann Coons at her colony site here in Missouri.
It was very apparent the nest in the video below had just started hatching.  While it's tempting to help remove the shells from the little, adorable nestlings, because their skin is still so delicate and could be still attached to the shell, I never 'help'. I let Nature take its course - the baby will be stronger for it and I avoid damaging him/her.




7 comments:

  1. Amazing work!
    Your patience with that owl is inspirational. There are probably a lot of folks that would've either resorted to illegally killing the owl, or would've just thrown in the towel with hosting Martins all together.
    All the wildlife on your property is extremely fortunate to have you and yours taking care of them.
    Love your blog!
    Matt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Matt - thank you for the comment....It's taking a lot of willpower. :-)

      Delete
  2. Awesome video, Kathy. I didn't see your snake netting. I know you use it. I have mine below the wench and then the [predator guard above the wench. How do you do yours? If i put it above the wench, I would have to have a way to take it off each time, because I could not lower gourds enough to do nest checks. Your cages look really good. I hope I never have to use ones or I will be in a huge panic. You need to give a workshop on how to build those and how you differ on the different racks. Thank you so much for making these videos again. And hoping you have a wonderful martin season.

    ReplyDelete
  3. great videos, and detail.thanx so much for sharing. i've been trying for 3 years, but still waiting, fingers crossed. nearby colony, have had some visitors looking, but none have stayed. similar story heard elsewhere i'm sure

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you have better luck next season, Steve!

      Delete
  4. Excellent! How did the rope work? My colony was destroyed last year by a GHO. Thanks for an update.
    CAPT GDog Martin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Capt GDog,
      The rope worked great! Apparently, my GHO didn't want to risk trying to fly up in the holes. I didn't have any issues with her trying to get inside the cage in the last season!

      Delete