"I come into the peace of wild things who do not tax their lives with forethought of grief.
For a time I rest in the grace of the world, and am free." ~Wendell Berry


Monday, April 7, 2014

Purple Martin Banding in Missouri - 2014

Since 2011, Missouri River Bird Observatory (MRBO) has banded over 3300 Purple Martins across Missouri, including St. Louis-Forest Park, Marshall, etc.  Of those 3300, 725 were banded at my site here in Licking.  While that number includes a few adults, the majority of the bands were placed on 11 to 24 day-old nestlings.  To date, I have resighted approximately 24 of those banded adults and returning juveniles as SY (sub-adult) birds at my site, along with one at a friend's site 6 miles north and one at my aunt's site located about 8-9 miles north.
One of many nestlings banded in 2013
Of those 24 resightings, some were seen again only one following season while a smaller number of them were seen at my site for multiple seasons now.  This year, due to multiple factors beyond our control, we have decided to not band any nestlings at my colony.  The good news however, is that I am now a licensed bander, sub-permitted under Dana Ripper at MRBO and I am planning a 2014 project to do some educational outreach and travel to some of the landlords' colonies whom I mentor around this area to band their nestlings.


As the martin flies, my aunt's place is approximately 8-9 miles from my site.
I think it would be interesting to find out how many of your birds are returning to your colony each year and how many are dispersing to other surrounding sites, such as mine.  There are some requirements that need to be met in order for me to accomplish this though and I will need your help and commitment if you are interested in having your birds banded.
It could take awhile for the bird to land in just the right position, but if a good quality photograph could be taken, it could be blown up on the computer to try to get a band reading.

First and foremost, I need to know if you will be willing to resight birds during the next martin season.  I will be honest with you and tell you up front that it does take some time.  The birds aren't always cooperative when you're trying to read their bands and many times, you find yourself in an awkward position in your yard (like standing-on-your-head-awkward) and chasing a bird around your site to get the reading.  But it can be quite fun and exciting when you realize this was one of *your* kids from last year.  I find it quite fun and relaxing to settle into a comfortable chair with a good quality pair of binoculars right smack in the middle of my colony and watch for bands (a good hat is a must-have for obvious reasons).  A spotting scope is a bonus and makes it even easier.  For landlords that are quite close to me, I would be willing to bring my spotting scope over to read the numbers on the band, once you have identified a banded bird at your colony.

Prerequisites for Banding:
1. You must have housing that can be vertically raised and lowered and opened so that you can perform weekly nest checks and which would allow us to safely get the nestlings down for banding.
2. You must perform weekly nest checks from the start of egg-laying.  Two reasons for this:  1) we'd be able to tentatively schedule the banding day by knowing when your first eggs would hatch and estimating when the nestlings would be at least 11 days old or older and; 2) we would know the location and expected number of nestlings in your colony that we could band.
3. As mentioned above, a willingness to watch your colony for bands in the 2015 season is required.

Please feel free to contact me at purplemartin@centurytel.net and let me know if you're a Missouri landlord who is interested in having your purple martins banded!

4 comments:

  1. Do the parents still accept the nestlings after they are banded? What do they think about the process?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Aya, yes the parents go right back to feeding them after the racks are raised back up. It is an old wives' tale that a bird will not accept their nestling after it has been handled. Birds have a very, very poor sense of smell and a very strong drive to have their offspring survive.
    As to what they think - I think because my colony is so used to me fiddling with them that they've gotten used to it. They will launch themselves in the air with their typical alarm calls when I first lower their housing (and the kids are cute - they'll scurry to the back of the nest and huddle when I'm checking on them), but once it's down the martins will usually settle down on the surrounding perches and watch me until I'm done. The adults will continue feeding at the other housing while I'm working with one of the racks, so we only take down 1 rack at a time to band.
    While 90% of them do accept the process and take it in stride now, there always seems to be one or two females that will try to scare me off by dive-bombing me so close that I can feel the air from her wings lift the hair on my head.
    Check out this fun story I wrote from last year's banding day.
    http://purplemartin.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=216841&highlight=#216841

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kathy where do you buy your gourds?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Troyer's Bird's Paradise - you can call them for a catalog at 814-587-2756. Let them know I recommended them. ;-)

      Delete