"I come into the peace of wild things who do not tax their lives with forethought of grief.
For a time I rest in the grace of the world, and am free." ~Wendell Berry


Monday, March 9, 2015

Purple Martins Moving into Missouri-Migration 2015

I'm so glad I decided to pull on my wading boots this past weekend to trudge through the water & muck to raise some housing and a few gourds.  With mud up over my ankles, I kept thinking, I can take my time.  But in looking at the Scout Report on the PMCA site, I can see that will not be the case.  Apparently, the martins are in a hurry this year!
With scouts reported in Webb City, Steelville and Washington, MO on Sunday, 3/8, it looks like we need to be ready for a potential arrival any day now.  There were also reports from southern Illinois and Kentucky!
See the scout reports here: http://www.purplemartin.org/scoutreport/scout.php?Y=2015&S=MO

The PMCA also hosts a very nice forum that has been active and growing since 1997.  So, if any of you are interested in joining the discussion and sharing your stories, you can join here by clicking on the 'Register' button:

http://purplemartin.org/forum/index.php

Joining the forum is free and there are lots of experienced landlords from across the United States, including myself, to chat with.  It's pretty busy right now and you can make contact with other landlords in your area.
Now that the season is upon us, I'll be publishing more short articles with helpful tips and methods that work for me at my site, as well as updates on how my owl encounters go this year and the effectiveness of my owl guards.  A couple of you have already offered to let me share your purple martin stories on my blog also, so look for those in upcoming posts!
Thanks to all of you that are reaching out to other existing landlords and landlords that want to attract martins this year to share what you have learned.  You all are making Missouri a very attractive state for purple martins!
Don't forget about the Purple Martin Workshop, hosted by the Missouri Conservation Department, coming up on March 17th at the YMCA in Mountain Grove from 6:00 PM to 8:30 PM!  Contact me via this blog, and I will forward your reservation.
Feel free to print or share the article at the link below to help new landlords:
http://kathyfreeze.blogspot.com/2014/03/attraction-techniques-for-new-sites.html

No comments:

Post a Comment