As mentioned in my last post (http://kathyfreeze.blogspot.com/2014/11/the-freeze-owl-block-fob.html ), I had cut a couple of 18" arms to which I could test-mount the fencing. It worked, so this past weekend, (and after sending Mr. Freeze back to the hardware store to get the right size nuts that I needed), I was able to cut and drill the rest of the arms and mount them to the gourd rack.
I then remounted all the gourd arms and made sure the nuts were tightened down so the arms would not rotate and allow the gourd to tilt downward.
|The extra 18" angle arms are added to help extend and keep the fencing off the fronts of the gourds on the ends. Holes drilled in the end of each 18" piece will be used to secure the fencing.|
I had been dreading facing two other challenges - figuring out how to get the maximum coverage from above without having to do a lot of cutting and what to use to cover the 'nibbins' when I cut out 4"x4" squares. Today, the clouds parted and it all became clear. Once I realized that I needed a 45 degree -pie-shaped section of fence and to do that, I needed to "cut two across, down one", I tossed the ruler, the square and the angle-thingy that Mr. Freeze gave me and started cutting. I now have a roof over the top that will prevent the owl from dropping down inside the cage. And I can secure it to the 6' angle arms, that I mounted earlier to keep it from floppin' around.